Monday, March 03, 2008

Career opportunities

With the departure of Jeff Gerstmann, Frank Provo, Alex Navarro, Ryan Davis, and now Jason Ocampo (did I miss anyone?), it appears that Gamespot is hiring. They're advertising three open Associate Editor positions: two general, and one PC-specific. It still doesn't seem to fill all the gaps left by the departed, but it's much more than I've ever seen posted. That place used to be locked down like Fort Knox.

Despite all that's happened there over the last few months, I'd be surprised if they have any trouble filling these positions. Without knowing any specific numbers, I'd be willing to bet that the number of people who want to make a living writing about games still exceeds the number of available jobs by at least a thousand million percent. Really, despite the hit its reputation has taken of late, Gamespot is still a leading publication -- one of the first two or three sites that come to mind. They might even pay a real salary, who knows. (Actually, does anybody know? I'm curious. Post anonymously, if you want.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

3-5 product reviews per week (according to the associate editor I posting) sure does sound like a grind.

Mitch Krpata said...

I can't even imagine. Their own review policy says they average 10 hours a game, which means you could be talking 50 hours before doing all the actual work required of you.

Can't imagine anything turning me off of games faster, really.