Thursday, October 30, 2008

Quiz: The Year in Swooning

Match each of these games with the breathless excerpt from its review.

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3. Dead Space
4. Far Cry 2
5. LittleBigPlanet
6. Fable 2
7. Fallout 3
8. Resistance 2

A. "Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score."

B. "I now know how film critics felt after screening "The Godfather." ...doesn't just raise the bar for the storied franchise; it completely changes the landscape of gaming."

C. "It is not hyperbole... an achievement that rivals greats like Half-Life 2 and BioShock. Its nuanced and labyrinthine plot, fully-realized characters and devastating attention to minute graphical details are beyond reproach."

D. "...a staggering, genre-defining achievement - marrying an utterly immersive world, memorable characters, incredible production values, some of the most inspired ... mechanics ever devised and so much heart ... Stands so far ahead of the majority of the games ... that it would be a crime against gaming not to laud this title as anything other than a masterpiece."

E. "...a landmark title that fundamentally changes the genre. Better than the original in every way, it is an amazingly rich adventure packed with anything and everything from exploration to fierce gun battles to harrowing car chases. It's incredibly polished, enormous in scope, and one of the best games of 2008."

F. "While the single-player experience is a great tale with an epic scope, it is equaled, and perhaps surpassed, by the multiplayer modes, which are perhaps some of the best I've ever played, and I'm particularly picky about my multiplayer."

G. "...one of the most important games to be released this decade. A tall order with the hype machine running overtime for the game but the way it reinvents how video games are played is sure to have lasting effects indefinitely."

H. "One of the greatest RPG’s ever made, a must own game for fans of the genre and anyone who wants to experience something truly unique."

Answers:

1. B (Game Informer)
2. A (IGN)
3. C (GameSpy)
4. E (GameShark)
5. G (Kombo)
6. H (WonderwallWeb)
7. D (Xbox World 360)
8. F (IGN)

10 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Reading the quiz list, I realize that game reviews (or reviewers) are getting out of hand.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Dave Halverson freelances for so many places.

Sparky said...

This makes me feel better about every bad thing I say about games and their developers. They'll always have hyperbole.

Etelmik said...

I actually took the quiz, and only got 4. I mixed up Fable and Fallout and the "11" one didn't give anything away. Shouldn't gotten Resistance 2 right. The others were easy.

You really should pitch this at Crispy Gamer or a print mag or somewhere.

Mitch Krpata said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that having written this post ensures that I will never write for any gaming-specific site, ever.

pixelvixen707 said...

No Braid?!

Mitch Krpata said...

Of course not. Braid is one of the most innovative and thrilling gaming experiences of the decade, and without question one of the best games of 2008. This is the most important game in this history of the Xbox, and possibly the world.

Anonymous said...

I have an awful lots of complaints about the state of game reviews, but some of these simply baffled me. Few of those games made a particularly profound impact on me. Desperately seeking new ways to score some of these titles ever higher is beyond my comprehension.

Mitch Krpata said...

Spencer, I agree. I mean, I don't doubt that these reviews come from a place of genuine excitement and enthusiasm. But the struggle to find fresh-sounding superlatives, coupled with a newfound disdain for older, now worse games, results in reviewers reaching ever higher up the shelf. Really, I blame the editors. They're the ones who should know better.

Besides which, it's impossible to know if these kinds of statements are true at the present moment. One iron-clad rule to follow when writing a game review is never to make any prediction about what impact a game will have on future games. You could have said those digital-video PC and Sega CD games were the future of gaming (which I'm sure many did), and look how that turned out. All predictions are wrong.

Other things to avoid in reviews: proclaiming a best game of the year before the year is over, calling a new game "one of the most [anything]," confidently predicting that many people will like a game that you clearly disliked.

iphone games review said...

I love playing games, But in these days, could not play the games due to over work at office, but I hope soon I will get some time to play the games.